December 26, 2006

Christmas: Reason for the season!

Christmas was so wonderful this year! I wonder though, how many people have come to know the real event that goes on? It seems Ireland stocks up on products, drinks, lights, and trees. Ireland teaches us exactly what is done at this time, and the only questions that are asked are, Why do I have to put up with all this stress? Why does everyone get gifts and end up in debt? The answer, Jesus, doesn’t seem to suffice. Why is that?

By nature, there is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God (Rom 3:11, 1Cor 2:14).
I personally didn’t, and I found Jesus knocking on my door, and drawing me unto him. He was relentless! I ignored, put up a front of anger, but I couldn’t get the things I was hearing out of my mind! I kept hearing more too …

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. (II Corinthians 4:4)
It amazes me to see how mankind will hold to anything, ANYTHING, that’s not in the Bible … evolution, communism, astrology, atheism etc. and believe anyone promoting these things.
I read about a reporter who saw 3 girls looking at Christmas presents in a window. One girl was blind and the other two were describing the various toys to her. The reporter marvelled at the thought of how difficult it would be to describe without sight what the toys looked like. A famous preacher D.L. Moody likened it to describing the things of God to an unsaved person, and to make matters worse, they aren’t interested unless the Father is drawing them (John 6:44).

Christmas is about the birth of a child, and not just another child, the only begotten Son! God in the flesh, who came down to live a sinless life and die for the numerous sins we have all commited. Who would rise again and defeat death, hell and Satan so that we could have the option(!) to choose eternal life!!!
This is one of the most significant events in history, without it we would all be lost. A significant event that happened 2007 years ago. The year of our Lord! This year I was blessed with the opportunity to worship Him in spirit and in truth, to bring honour, praise and glory to His name, and really celebrate the reason for the season!! And wow what a difference it is to be in the joy of the Lord! What did you do this Christmas? Do you know, if you died tonight, where you will spend eternity?

Jesus is waiting, not too far from here …

John Mahony.
www.biblebc.com

2 comments:

Wes said...

Alright brother John!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us through your blog!!
It really is a blessing to see you grow in grace & knowledge in Christ Jesus!
Christmas was a great time for me this year, a time of joy, peace & a sober mind.
God has been so gracious to me throughout every day of every year of my whole life.
But there is one day that is drenched in the mercy of God.


The Christmas of 2003. The Lord Jesus Saved my soul in Feb 2004. In Oct 2003 the Lord really started to draw to me to himself. I had a great interest in Jesus from Oct & would read my Bible (which was given to me at my confirmation), visit the Catholic
church in between mass to speak to God! Go to video shops looking for videos about Jesus!! God was clearly drawing me & speaking to me at that time. Anyway I carried on partying through December, running with the world, fornicating, swearing,
drinking, drug taking. With no real care for the things of God.


One night around Christmas after a lengthy drink & drug fuelled party, I lay on my bed & feeling so burnt out from the drink & drug abuse that I had put my body through, I cried out to God & asked him to take me, I asked him to take my life there & then. Me
being a catholic & with the communication I was having with God over the last couple of weeks I thought I was going to heaven. When in reality I was lost & would have gone straight to hell if God had granted my request. But Jesus showed me mercy & put aside my foolish plea & continued to work on me through the new year!


Through the next couple of weeks Jesus spoke to me through the Bible & increased my faith. "Faith comes by hearing & hearing by the word of God." Rom. 10:17) He led me to repentance a number of times, but it was only on Feb 9th 2004 when I finally cried to Jesus
in repentance, & truly put my faith in Jesus Christ "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Act 4:12) that the Lord took me out of darkness & into his marvellous light.


So John, if God had not come in the flesh, & took on skin & bone, to offer himself for us, we would be still in our sins with no hope. I praise the Lord Jesus Christ for setting aside the glory of heaven & coming to seek & save that which was lost.


I want to thank the Lord Jesus Christ for making all things new in my life, & for making Christmas new, a time of worship, adoration, testimony & witness for my saviour!


Along with the glorious birth of Christ, Christmas reminds me of the mercy of God. God could have shut up his mercy toward me that night but he extended his mercy toward me & i praise & thank him for it!


God bless you John, your doing a great job glorifying Jesus with the blog!
Keep up the good work,
Your brother in Christ,
Wes, Calvary Baptist, Bray

John said...

Wow Brother Wes! Thanks for sharing your testimony here! I never cease to be absolutely blown away by God's work in each individual ...